Open number lines can be one of the best teaching tools ever. Here are a few of our favourite ideas for how to use them:
- Use the line for base 10 numbers… Start at 0, end at 1000 – ask students where 10 and 100 go.
- Use the line for indices… Start at 10^0 and end at 10^6. Where do the other powers of ten go?
- Use weird numbers at the start and end point… Start at 200, end at 1300 and ask students to find the mid point and where 500 goes.
- Use numbers along the line instead of at the ends… Place 600 and 1300 on a number line and ask students to find the start and end numbers.
- Use to find the amount between numbers or for operations.