WA: Years P-5 – Improvement Project 2019 – Kinross Primary School
Dates: 18 + 19 Mar, 17 + 18 Jun, 14 + 15 Oct
March 18, 2019 @ 8:00 am - March 19, 2019 @ 4:00 pm$1450.00
Improving results in Years Pre-Primary – Year 5, with targeted professional learning and data analysis over 12 months for WA teachers.
Project limited to 45 participants.
2 days Initial Training: 18 + 19 Mar
4 Follow-up days: 17 + 18 Jun + 14 + 15 Oct
Venue: Kinross Primary School
Scroll to the bottom of the screen to register
Students often begin to struggle in mathematics during years Pre-Primary – Year 5, when maths becomes more theoretical. Developing a strong understanding of place value, multiplicative thinking and fractions is critical at this stage of schooling. This course targets improvement in results for teachers and leaders of students in the middle years of primary school.
Who should attend:
This course is targeted at teachers of students from years Pre-Primary-5, along with their leaders.
Resources and training included in the project:
- Initial two-day training course in term 1 (valued at $495)
- Four follow-up days: one per term for 2019 (valued at $600)
- Data analysis for your participating teachers: including NAPLAN, PATM, and targeted diagnostic testing in Place Value, Multiplicative Thinking and Proportional Reasoning, along with targeted advice for how to address any areas of concern (currently reserved for SA partnerships and not sold separately). This also includes resources to do your own analysis after completion of the project or to use with any other staff member in your school.
- Data evaluation and measurement of growth, including two growth reports for each school participating (currently reserved for partnerships and valued at $3000).
- Webinar access to our 2019 series, with over 15 live sessions and an additional 20 recordings (valued at $250)
- Website access to all our Back to Front Maths resources for all grades (valued at $250)
- Books: one Teaching Resource Pack for any grade ($100), one each of three different Interventions manuals ($150), Assessment in Primary Mathematics ($80)
- DVD with 8 complete lessons of teaching ($200), all targeting key mathematical concepts
- Ongoing online mentoring accessible throughout the project (not currently offered to anyone)
Total value: $5125 + services not currently available to schools.
Actual Cost per participant to access all of this: $1450.
All teachers and leaders participating in projects will be required to:
- Work with a group of students for at least one lesson per week of mathematics throughout the course (all resources provided or developed with course participants)
- Complete the diagnostic tasks provided, the interventions targeted to student growth and bring back the results in the specified times
- Share samples of student work gathered throughout the project
- Actively participate in discussions and be honest with their own struggles and successes
The topics addressed in each training session include:
- Initial two-day facilitator training course with sessions on: the Australian Curriculum for years Pre-Primary-5, proficiency strands, diagnosing and addressing misconceptions, NAPLAN and addressing key difficulties in normal classroom teaching (differentiation, grouping, behaviour, catching students up and key number concepts)
- First follow up day: data analysis, profiling students who are not growing and the use of problem solving to develop relative size and multiplicative thinking
- Second follow up day: assessing the proficiency strands and moderation
- Third follow up day: learning design and creating lessons that both challenge students and are responsive to needs, with a specific focus on fractions and decimals
- Fourth follow up day: moderation day and analysing our growth data, as well as how to work with other teachers in your school to lead change
What it looks like when kids catch up: