WA: P-9 Improvement Project 2020
Venue: Bletchley Park PS
Dates: 9-10 March, 25-26 May, 5-6 November
March 9 @ 8:00 am - March 10 @ 4:00 pm$1450
This 12 month project targets improvement in results for teachers and leaders of students in primary through to the junior years of secondary school.
Our 2018 3-5 project schools showed NAPLAN year 3-5 cohort gain that was 8.6% higher than the State average by May, with our 2019 high school project showing an average gain of 1.8 years on PAT Maths in 8 months [click here to see Tierney’s peer-reviewed research article showing the data improvements].
Project is limited to 45 participants
|T1||09-Mar-20||Tierney||Introduction to problem-based teaching; key number concepts and a live demonstration looking at the concept of relative size|
|10-Mar-20||Tierney||Plan and trial a lesson in small groups; effective grouping for different class structures; differentiation across 4-5 grades; NAPLAN analysis and how to improve results quickly|
||Tierney||Demonstration Lesson: arrays and fractions; student profiling and developmental sequencing; learning intentions and success criteria|
|26-May-20||Tierney||Assessment of problem solving and reasoning; content focus on fractions, decimals and percent; games that work to build fluency|
||Tierney||Designing inquiry and modelling tasks with assessment criteria, focus on serious extension|
||Tierney||Designing a numeracy plan; high-yield strategies for staff who have not been trained yet; assessing fluency|
Who should attend:
Teachers of primary and junior secondary students from Years P-9, and their leaders. Multi-stage classes will also benefit as differentiation and programming is included across 4-5 year levels for most lessons.
How to get the best results out of this project:
We have found the best results are achieved when teachers and leaders participating in the project –
- Work with a group of students for at least one lesson per week of mathematics throughout the project (using the resources provided or developed with project participants)
- Complete the diagnostic tasks provided, the interventions targeted to student growth and bring back the results within the specified times
- Share samples of student work gathered throughout the project
- Actively participate in discussions and were honest with their own struggles and successes
Substituting participants during the project is fine – however, it may make data analysis a little tricky!
Training and Resource Inclusions
- Six live training days: Two each in Terms 1, 2 and 4. If a participant cannot make a live session, we will endeavour to use recorded webinars to catch them up where possible.
- Data analysis for your participating teachers, including NAPLAN, PATM and targeted diagnostic testing in Place Value, Multiplicative Thinking and Proportional Reasoning, along with targeted advice for how to address any areas of concern. This also includes resources to do your own analysis after the completion of the project, or to use with any other staff member in your school (currently reserved for partnerships and not sold separately)
- Data evaluation and measurement of growth, including two growth reports for each school participating (currently reserved for partnerships)
- Access to recorded webinars on key topics of interest, included in follow-up emails to live sessions.
- Individual Website Access for 12 months to all Back-to-Front Maths resources, for all grades, including adaptable work programs and assessment items
- 4 x Online Mentoring Sessions specific to the project group – this is a chance to ask the course facilitators your questions and talk about any issues that have come up between live sessions
- 1 x Teaching Resource Pack for any grade comprising 1 x Teacher Resource Manual, 1 x *Student Thinking Journal and 1 x *Student Blast Book (*student books are combined for grades 1 & 2)
- 3 x Targeted Intervention manuals from our Fixing Misconceptions Interventions series
- 1 x Assessment and Moderation in Primary Mathematics manual with assessment rubrics suitable up to Yr-10
- 1 x DVD with 8 complete lessons of teaching, all targeting key mathematical concepts
- Ongoing online mentoring accessible throughout the project
Total Value per participant:
- $5660 + services not currently offered to schools
- Actual cost per participant:
Preferred Professional Learning Provider: Numeracy – Government of South Australia
Scroll down to register
” width=”20″ height=”20″>