2 days Initial Training (Term 1): 22 February + 23 March
4 follow-up days: 4 + 5 June, 24 August, 24 October
Improving results in years 6-9, with targeted professional learning and data analysis for SA teachers over 12 months
Project limited to 40 participants. Begins 2018. Location will be Charles Campbell College.
Scroll to the bottom of the screen to register
When students enter upper primary or lower secondary they can often have vastly different levels of understanding of mathematics. Teachers find it difficult to even know where to start to catch kids up, while still making sure that the content in the Australian Curriculum does not get lost. Developing strong relative size, multiplicative thinking and proportional reasoning is critical at this stage of schooling if students are to progress. This course targets improvement in results for teachers and leaders of students in years 6-9, with a special focus on helping out-of-field secondary teachers to understand what they need to know to help catch kids up.
This project will include the following training and resources:
- Initial two-day training course during term 1 (valued at $495)
- Four follow-up days: during 2018 (valued at $600)
- Data analysis for your participating teachers: including school NAPLAN, PATM where appropriate, and targeted diagnostic testing in key number concepts, along with targeted advice for how to address any areas of concern (currently reserved for partnerships and not sold separately). This also includes resources to do your own analysis after completion of the project or to use with any other staff member in your school.
- Data evaluation and measurement of growth, including two growth reports for each school participating (currently reserved for partnerships and valued at $3000).
- Webinar access to our 2018 series, with over 15 live sessions and an additional 20 recordings (valued at $250)
- Website access to all of our Back to Front Maths resources for all grades (valued at $250), including adaptable work programs and assessment items
- Books: The complete series of Interventions in Mathematics ($250 – 5 books on fixing misconceptions in key number concepts), Assessment in Primary Mathematics ($80)
- DVD with 8 complete lessons of teaching ($200), all targeting key mathematical concepts
- Ongoing online mentoring accessible throughout the project (not currently offered to anyone)
Total value: $5125 + services not currently available to schools.
Actual Cost per participant to access all of this: $1450.
The topics addressed in each training session include:
- Initial two-day facilitator training course with sessions on: the Australian Curriculum for years 4-9 (enabling catch-up on key concepts), proficiency strands, diagnosing and addressing misconceptions, NAPLAN and addressing key difficulties in normal classroom teaching (lesson structures, differentiation, grouping, behaviour, catching students up and key number concepts)
- First follow up day: data analysis, profiling students who are not growing and the use of problem solving to develop a deep understanding of relative size, integers and multiplicative thinking
- Second follow up day: assessing the proficiency strands and moderation
- Third follow up day: learning design and creating lessons that both challenge students and are responsive to needs, with a specific focus on proportional reasoning and algebraic thinking
- Fourth follow up day: moderation day and analysing our growth data, as well as how to work with other teachers in your school to lead change
- Please note: In at least three of the sessions there will be a live teaching demonstration with students from the hosting school.
All teachers and leaders participating in the project will be required to:
- Work with a group of students for at least one lesson per week of mathematics throughout the course (all resources provided or developed with course participants)
- Complete the diagnostic tasks provided, the interventions targeted to student growth and bring back the results in the specified times
- Share samples of student work gathered throughout the project
- Actively participate in discussions and be honest with their own struggles and successes
Substitutions of people during the course is fine, however it may make data analysis a little more tricky!
This course is targeted at teachers of students from years 6-9, along with their leaders. Out-of-field teachers are especially encouraged to enroll, as well as teachers of mostly senior students who are unsure of how to develop understanding of earlier concepts.
Scroll to the bottom of the screen to register