Looking for high-quality professional development
for your staff? We provide lots of different
options that might suit you, your Partnership and your school.
Are you looking for upcoming workshop information? Click here to see all of our upcoming training events.
What would you like to find out about?
- In-school options
- Partnership projects
- Training courses, including Fixing Misconception days and Assessment and Moderation courses
- Modeled Lessons: Would you like to watch one of our consultants model lessons in your own classes? Release your teachers to come and see what happens with your students as we diagnose and fix misconceptions, challenging them to think hard and differentiating as we go. Minimum time required is 1 hour per lesson, preferably with 10 minutes before and after with each group of staff to discuss the findings. Download our Observations sheet
- Diagnostic Lessons and Recommendations: Do you need to know exactly where your students are stuck and how to move forward to get the best results as quickly as possible? Our consultants will run diagnostic lessons with your students to show you exactly where they are placed in our developmental sequence. We will then meet with your administration and key staff to offer practical advice for targeted improvement. This option can be paired with modeled lessons.
- Mentoring and Coaching: Our consultants will meet with small groups of teachers to discuss practical issues of teaching. We love being asked curly questions!
- Planning: Our consultants will meet with a small group of school representatives to facilitate writing a maths work program to suit your students, staff and future directions. Maximum of 6 staff members or planning becomes unwieldy. This is best paired with a day spent doing Diagnostic Lessons (option 2 above).
- Student Free Days: Our consultants run training days for small and large groups of teachers, including multi-school days. We can work with you to design a training program in advance, or go directly from teacher questions on the day. We use problem-based teaching with adults as well as kids, so be prepared for a highly-interactive and very practical day packed with professional learning to cater for teachers at different levels.
Partnership Training and Resourcing for a full year:
$39,500 (including GST, travel and resources) for up to 40 teachers for 5 days throughout a year. Actual value: $62 800 (saves over $20,000)
If you would prefer to tailor the options to suit your needs, download this spreadsheet and change the numbers for each to calculate your costs: Tailoring Partnership Training Options
Package option:Following several highly-successful projects in SA Partnerships, we are increasingly being asked to run training for full-year projects. After negotiating a focus area with your Leaders, we have developed a package which includes:
- Initial 2-day Facilitator Training course for up to 40 participants. Valued at: $450/person (or $18 000)
- Resources for each participant: Online web access to Back-to-Front Maths ($250/person), a facilitator training manual ($80/person), a DVD to support your professional learning ($200) and Interventions book of your choice ($50/person). Valued at: $580/person (or $23 200)
- Access to 27 webinars. Valued at $250/teacher (or $10 000).
- Diagnostic testing to use with all classes, as well as spreadsheets for data analysis and calculating effect size. This data will be moderated and used throughout the project to check student improvements.
- Three live follow-up sessions with the project participants or project leaders in the next 12 months. Valued at over $9000.
- Two project reports for Leaders, including teacher and student data (effect size calculations, statistical significance) Valued at $3 000. See example report here: Holdfast Partnership Final Report, November 2015.
- Useful tools for leaders, including “How to analyse your NAPLAN Data” and “How to achieve whole school change”.
- Discounts on whole-school resourcing, webinars and in-person demonstrations.
Total value: $63,200.
We run webinar courses for schools and individuals. For more information, to watch a full-length samples and find out about our current series click here. There are 27 sessions altogether, with sessions for those just starting out, more advanced teachers and even leaders.
Training Courses: Cost dependent on course option
Fixing Misconceptions in Place Value: 1 day
In this workshop, teachers experience a unique problem-based process designed to diagnose misconceptions and create light-bulb moments so that misconceptions in Place Value are fixed for good. Every attendee receives a manual, complete with diagnostic tasks to uncover misconceptions that are holding kids back from understanding place value as well as intervention lessons with unique confrontational questions to fix misconceptions for good. For current courses, click here.
Fixing Misconceptions in Fractions for grades 5-10: 1 day
In this workshop, teachers experience a unique problem-based process designed to diagnose misconceptions and create light-bulb moments so that fractions are fixed for good. Every attendee receives a manual, complete with diagnostic tasks to uncover misconceptions that are holding kids back from understanding fractions as well as 22 intervention lessons with unique confrontational questions to fix misconceptions for good.
Professional Development Videos: $200 per DVD, eight lessons
See how to use problem-based teaching to diagnose and confront misconceptions, leading the students to develop deep understanding, generalise mathematical principles and really develop understanding. Watch as Tierney teaches through questioning, differentiating for both support and extension students all while teaching key number concepts.
Read more at this link.